Immigrate as a self-employed person
The Self-Employed Program is for the purpose of bringing people who will become self-employed in Canada and contribute to society.
They must have the following:
- related experience in cultural activities or athletics, and
- Have the skills to make a significant contribution to the cultural, economic or athletic life of Canada
- Find out if you’re eligible
Find out if you are eligible to immigrate to Canada as a self-employed person.
To be eligible as a self-employed person, you must:
- Have relevant experience
- Must have the intention of being able to be self-employed in Canada
- Meet the selection criteria for self-employed people and
- Provide medical, security and other conditions.
Your experience is relevant if you have:
- Taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
- Been self-employed in cultural activities or athletics
We will assess you on selection criteria that include:
- language abilities
Medical, security and other requirements
It is required that you and your family members must have a medical exam and get police certificates to ensure a clean criminal record.
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.
Self-employed person means a foreign national who:
- has relevant experience
- intends and is able to be self-employed in Canada and
- Make a contribution to Canada’s economy in one of the required areas.
Relevant experience means a self-employed who has at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting five years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application. The experience must be:
- For cultural activities:
- Two one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- Two one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- A combination of a one-year period described in A above, and a one-year period described in B above.
- For athletics:
- two one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- two one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in a above, and a one-year period described in b above
The province of Quebec runs its own business immigration program. If you want to live in Quebec, visit Quebec’s immigration website.
Follow the steps to person. On our website and immigration advisers will take care of your request.
Do you want to buy or manage a farm in Canada?
As of March 10, 2018, new applications under the farm management stream of the Self-Employed Person Program will no longer exist.
- Prepare to arrive
Know what to expect when you arrive in Canada. It is always good to do your homework and know which direction you would like to go once you arrive. Set your dreams high.
“It is easy to dream small as it is easy to dream Big”
For any questions or concerns your immigration consultant will be available for you at any time.